Peacock Spider Embroidery

I sat down wanting to do a super realistic embroidery of a spider the other night, and while trying to decide which one, I stumbled upon the peacock spider (Maratus volans). I had never seen this before! This spider is amazing, and if I may say: it displays a level of cuteness and beauty that I never would have thought possible for an arachnid. It can DANCE.

Here's the problem: this is a lot of work. I usually don't have the patience to work on anything if it takes more than one or two sittings. So my goal is to finish this. REALLY finish it. Not move on to something else and say, "oh, I'll finish it eventually." I won't start anything else until it's done. PERIOD. Just like a grown-up artist is supposed to do. Get it done. Like a big girl.

(Oh, and if you want to see a video of the awesome peacock spider, this one on YouTube is pretty fantastic. I've watched it, like, three times.)

10 comments:

Tanya said...

oh that is terrifying and awesome all at once.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Rick said...

I love jumping spiders of all kinds - their big cartoonish eyes, the way they can arch their cephalothorax to look around, that something with a brain the size of a pin can seem so downright curious. Even my fiancee, who generally hates spiders, is starting to come around on jumpers.

I have a few photos of jumpers here .

Philly Art Girl said...

Yeah, I'm with your fiancee generally when it comes to spiders, but these guys are SO awesome. It's very difficult to not like such a charismatic creature.

RecycleBen said...

Wow looks like an awesome project! Hope it goes well. I am rooting for you. Do it and Finish it!!

spacemansteve said...

So far it's gorgeous!!

Paula said...

Wow! Remember the next-to-back legs getting extended, with the white ankles and black feet!

CrogDog said...

Wow this is amazing! I never thought I'd be able to call a spider cute but LOOKATIT'SLITTLEMITTENS

Andro ang Christopher said...

This is absolutely amazing. How's it going? I've been a fan of jumping spiders for a long time and I've never seen anything remotely like this.

Hadn't seen the peacock spider videos either, I've done similar work but that guy must have spent weeks filming them to get that much good footage.

Five years ago I did a jumping spider in stained glass mosaic (much easier than embroidery!) as a part of this: http://andromedaroach.deviantart.com/art/The-Animilia-Window-138555300

That was my first glass mosaic, I should do a better one sometime. Jumping spiders seem to have quite a fanbase. :)

Anonymous said...

Philly art......amazing work! well done! I am actually an Aussie who has discovered two new species or peacock spider, Maratus harrisi and the newist, Maratus calcitrans. I would love to commission you to embroid something for me if your current volans project works out. I just had a glass Maratus harrisi pendant made for my girlfriend:) will put pics of it up on Flickr soon. My email is shadowplay369@gmail.com
so glad i 'found' you, that half finished volans is spot on! PS - myself and Dr Otto, collaborator and great photographer, have produced a 2013 peacock spider calendar too, nearly sold out !

Saeed Zia said...

Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online
www.jobzcorner.com