Fire!

I had a really fun post thing planned for today, but the Universe had something else in mind so that's gonna be another week. That said, I purposely haven't posted anything in a while because today was supposed to be so EPIC. *Sigh*.... gotta be patient...

So when I realized that today was not gonna be da bomb that I thought it was going to be, I was going to post some fun sketches that I did at the zoo the other day. But it turns out I'm gonna post about that another day, too (lots of fun stuff planned!), because while I was taking pictures of said sketches on the back deck, Steve and I noticed a smokey plume off in the distance.



Now, a little back story: I don't know if I've said anything about this, but I've had a REALLY nice camera for a really long time, and this whole time I haven't figured out how the heck to use it. I don't just mean "oh, I just can't seem to get the light right," etc. I mean that as a photographer, I am the biggest fail ever. Just really really really really really bad.

But I'm trying to change that; I've been learning stuff about it ("Ohhhh, so that's what aperture means!"), so Steve and I decided that if it was a fire it could be some good practice. Apparently an abandoned school building caught fire (not sure how). Happily no one was hurt, and it turns out that pretty much everyone and their mom wanted this thing demolished.

So, without further ado, here they are (actually pretty proud of these):




I think it's cool how you can see the little PA system on the wall still through the right window.


It turned out that the school closed a little less than a decade ago, but this is in an old Philadelphia neighborhood so there ended up being several people around who had gone to school there. One woman said she was in the last graduating class and really wanted her picture taken, which I thought was a brilliant idea.

I think I'm the worst at portrait photography, but there's nothing like practice. And to have such willing volunteers was nice. Another graduate wanted his picture taken, too. It's weird; they didn't even seem to care if they ever saw the pictures. It's just as well; I really didn't do them justice.

 
But the important thing is that I tried!

6 comments:

coffey49 said...

Awesome pics!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous. but the tilting is absolutely unnecessary. perfect except for the tilting.

Jon said...

Looks like you really got the controls down on that camera. Good clarity and good depth of color.

BradyDale said...

Amazing photos. I am fascinated by the fire because, for five years, until May, I lived on the block just south of that building and saw that old school every morning.

Philly Art Girl said...

It was a little sad to see something that old burn down, but I'm glad you like the photos!

He Said His Telephone Number Was 911 said...

"but I've had a REALLY nice camera for a really long time, and this whole time I haven't figured out how the heck to use it." I've got a nice camera too, and I just kept working with it. You're doing fine. These are great shots, particularly the ones looking into the windows.